There is some confusion about this property, due to changing addresses.
The first we know of this gas station is in 1926, when Frank Friedman was ordered to cease operations because his station was “dangerous and a menace to public safety.” The problem was that it was a “curb station” and that configuration had to be remedied. The station changed hands quite often through the years:
· In 1927, Burke Lyon petitioned for a permit for a gas station at the northwest corner of Excelsior and Princeton.
· In 1929, M. Van Der Martin received a permit for a service station – possibly he had it remodeled.
· In 1931, Clifford Doran had a permit for 2 pumps.
· In 1933 it was Bailey’s Service Station. John Swan was listed as the owner when village water was connected.
· In 1935, a permit to operate 2 pumps issued to Oscar Hanson and William A. Nielson.
· In 1937-38 it was the B.C. Pierce Phillips 66 Station.
· In 1939 it was Ackerman’s Service.
· In 1942 the station was operated by Frank Polansky.
· In 1946, Herbert Sinclaire and Theodore Goldstein remodeled the station. They also had a fruit and vegetable market.
· In 1947, Lewis E. Vrooman requested permission to inhabit two trailers at the rear of the property.
· In 1948, Theodore O. Dahn got a license to sell soft drinks.
· In 1949, there was a Don Stewart connected to the site.
· In 1957 it was a Pure Oil Station.
· In 1965, Ralph Fine complained to the Council that planned improvements to Excelsior Blvd. would take away his parking, but it turned out that it wasn’t his to begin with.
· In 1967 a new building was built.
The building was demolished and the site is now part of the Excelsior and Grand complex.