St. Louis Park was the home of several nurseries, especially along Excelsior Blvd., which was dubbed “nursery and greenhouse row” by the Dispatch.
- Morton Arneson started operating his three acres at 4951 Excelsior Blvd. in 1929. This land became the site of two major buildings. The first was the St. Louis Park Medical Center. The second was built for a grocery story, but also became the property of the Medical Center (Park Nicollet).
- Roger V. Holt came out of the service in 1946 and started his nursery at 4600 Excelsior Blvd. The building was designed by his brother (Sam Holt?) who was an architectural engineer. He ran the business until at least 1964. In 1973 a new building was built at the site, first serving as a pizza parlor and then Jennings Liquors. The site is now part of Excelsior and Grand.
- The Minnesota Tree Service, run by Byron F. and Marjorie Bell, was located at 4601 Excelsior Blvd. from at least 1933. In 1962 the business (Minnesota Tree and Garden Center) moved to Highway 169 and Shady Oak Road in Hopkins.
- The St. Louis Park Greenhouse, run by Wallace Plantikow, was located at 4617 Excelsior Blvd. Conflicting information gives his start in 1927 or 1938. The building on that lot today was built in 1945. The greenhouse continued until at least 1972.
- Leslie B. Santos Nurseries were located at 4801 Excelsior Blvd., across the street from Holt. His building, built in 1945, was in operation two weeks before Plantikow’s. On December 12, 1945, Leslie Santos opened Santos Art and Gift Shop. Santos operated the site until 1953.
- Larson’s Greenhouse was run by C.F. Larson in the 1930’s. He was located at 4159 Webster, on the same block as Brookside School. He grew his stock in a glass greenhouse behind his house. We know he was there from 1931 to 1937, but he could have been there before and/or after that time. The greenhouse was taken down in the 1940’s.