The Sandvig story starts with Clarence E. Sandvig, who was born on November 9, 1902. In 1938 he built a house at 4341 Mackey. Clarence started a public accounting firm in 1942; before that he worked at Augsburg Publishing, according to the 1942 directory. The first location was in the Brick Block on Walker Street.
When his son William joined the firm in 1951 it became Sandvig and Sandvig. The company was located in the first Rutherford Building at 5005 Excelsior, and then when that building was sacrificed for the east end of Miracle Mile, Rutherford’s new building at 4995 Excelsior Blvd. in 1953. From 1958 to 1984, the business was located at 4016 Utica Ave. Clarence retired in 1972, and died on April 29, 1991 in Sun City Arizona.
Bill Sandvig ran the business alone from 1972 until 1984, when he sold it to the CPA firm Messerli & Associates in Edina. Bill was extremely active in the community: Potentate of the 10,000-member Zuhrah Shrine Temple in Minneapolis (1988), Vice President of the Minneapolis Jaycees, Vice Commodore of the Minneapolis Aquatennial, Sergeant in the Hennepin County Sheriff’s Rescue Squad, member of the Minnesota Bowling Hall of Fame, and baseball umpire, to name a few of his activities.