It appears from these photos and from the 1898 map that there were two hotels on Brownlow, across from T.B. Walker’s Methodist Church.
The Belisle House was supposedly the first boardinghouse/hotel in the area, dating to 1891. There is a Fred Belisle listed as a third grader at Lincoln School in 1893-94 and Willie Belisle was in second grade. A Census search for the name Belisle yields no results. The photo below has been tentatively identified as the Belisle House, but it is likely that it was the similarly-sized building to the left.
The photo below of Billy Otts and “Papa’s dogs” indicates that the building closest to us is Duff’s House. John and Mary Duff were listed with 18 boarders and four servants in 1900, and Billy Otts and his wife were among the boarders. In the 1895 and 1905 Minnesota Censuses there is a John Duff listed as a moulder. His occupation in the 1910 census is indecipherable. The Duffs, including children John and Nora, were all born in Wisconsin. Johnie Duff is listed as a fifth grader at Lincoln School in 1893-94, and Nora was in fourth grade.
George A. Werner’s Saloon is described in this same location, so it was probably inside one of these two hotels.
Sitting on this property today is the building and parking lot for 3387 Brownlow (built in 1951).