Mr. and Mrs. Carpenter came to St. Louis Park in 1904. In addition to his duties as deputy clerk of District Court, Mr. Carpenter farmed in what later became the Sunset Gables district. Their home was located on one and a half acres at 4304 West Lake Street (Minnetonka Blvd.) The well-manicured lawn at the Carpenter home was used for many church and social out-of-doors activities.
Carpenter was a gardening and flower enthusiast, and the originator of the St. Louis Park Garden Club.
Carpenter died at age 84 in 1944.