There seems to be some confusion between Suburban Electric and Suburban Appliance in the following narrative. Any clarification would be appreciated; please contact us.
The building at 4500 Excelsior Blvd. was built in 1945. The names Arnie Johnson and Stanley Fishman were associated with the property.
In 1947, Suburban Electric was a tenant. In 1952, Suburban Electric moved to 6112 Excelsior.
In 1950 Suburban Appliance “The Store of Friendly Service,” featured Admiral televisions. Other brands of refrigerators, washers, radios, etc. were Frigidaire, Caloric, Speed Queen, Hardwick, Easy, Capehart, Sylvania, Hallicrafters, Hoover, and Duo-Therm. In 1952, Suburban Appliance moved out when it merged with the appliance division of Minikahda Hardware to create Minikahda-Suburban Hardware and Appliance. The new store was located at 4424 Excelsior Blvd. The owner of Suburban Appliance was John Sage, and the owner of Minikahda Hardware was Mayor Russell Fernstrom.
On July 10, 1952, the Minneapolis Gas Company (not yet referred to as Minnegasco) Suburban Division and Appliance Display Center moved in until at least 1954. The Grand Opening featured three big prizes: a Calcinator Gas Garbage Disposal Unit, a Ruud Water Heater, and a Hardwick Gas Range.
KRSI Radio occupied the building from 1957 to October 1972. The station went country/western and the studio moved to Eden Prairie.
Other tenants included Smedberg Realtors, Josephine’s Taylors, Designs that Sell, a baseball card store, and a pawn shop in 1996. It’s possible that there were apartments in there too. The building was demolished to make room for Excelsior and Grand – Trader Joe’s in specific.
4500 Excelsior Blvd. in 2000