This area, 2.74 acres adjacent to the library, was first graded in 1964. Pony colt baseball wanted a site they could call their own. The city would not acquire the Gorham Ave. property. On July 4 one year in the early 60s the group including some neighbors put up a flag pole on the property ran up a flag and ad hoc called the site Freedom Park. Later the name was changed to honor Paul Frank who wanted a field for Pony/Colt baseball which anyone could play without having to go through a “draft” as was required in Little League. The city subsequently purchased the land and planted trees in the outfield. Little boys were regularly getting black eyes when they kept their eyes on the ball and ran into the saplings. No eyes were ever put out that we know of. The site became dual purpose in the late sixties when the city built a permanent library. Improvements were made in 1971. It has a concession/announcing building (originally built in 1957), dugouts, a roof, irrigation and storage sheds, and facilities for soccer.