The Tingdale Brothers were early real estate developers in St. Louis Park, Edina, and elsewhere.
The Tingdales were Martin and Rudolph Tingdale. Martin and Rudolph’s brother Andrew, Martin’s son Rolf, and Rudolph’s son Robert, also played important parts in the company. They platted their first subdivision in around 1907 and became the largest operators in suburban and lake shore property in Minnesota before real estate stopped selling in the late 1920’s. A later subdivision featured four streets named after the family: Tingdale, Warren, Mildred, and Rolf Avenues, named after Martin’s children. The company’s last subdivision was sold in the late 1940’s. Rudolph passed away in 1950.
About the name: when the Tingdales first came from Norway, their last name was Rasmussen. They had a store and used a horse drawn wagon to haul their groceries ice, fuel, etc. After noticing that so many wagons also displayed the name Rasmussen, they crafted a new name from their hometown of Tengesdal.