Roy and Irene Walbom had a prominent business presence in St. Louis Park from the 1940s to the 1970s. Many a young lady bought her prom dress at Walboms.
The Walboms opened a women’s apparel shop in 1941. In 1947 they added a men’s store and moved to Lilac Way. They added a children’s section, opening on November 17, 1950. [A November 21, 1950 ad in the Echo announced a new store for men.] In July 1957 they sold all their stock and retired. In 1963 the store moved to Miracle Mile, where it stayed until 1972.
Roy Walbom was born on February 15, 1900 in Minneapolis. He died on December 22, 1959, at the age of 59 of a cerebral hemmorage.
Irene and Roy owned three farms and another store in Crystal. The Walboms were big supporters of the Miss St. Louis Park pageant, providing wardrobes as prizes and opening their home at Lake Minnetonka to the candidates for a day in the sun.