The West End Community Development Association was organized in 1954 with Herb Davis serving as president. The group was organized to oppose industrialization of the gravel pit near Minnetonka Blvd. and the Great Northern spur line. In December 1950 the Village had contracted with Landers Norblom-Christenson Sand and Gravel Co. to remove sand and gravel and grade the former Holasek Farm at 28th and Texas. It was converted to a concrete plant, then vacated in 1970.
The West End Community Development Association actively supported the school board’s acquisition of a portion of the gravel pit land for a future grade school. The association actively opposed rezoning for commercial usage, open-development property in the community bounded tightly by residential areas. The group also actively lobbied for the passage of the City Charter, and supported plans to ensure adequate recreation facilities for the 1,500+ children in the West End. Davis resigned to run for the City Council and was replaced by Duane O. Jackson. The group had/has nothing to do with the West End redevelopment project, which is actually at the east end of St. Louis Park.