Cronstrom’s was founded in 1928 by Kenneth A. Cronstrom in a series of buildings in Minneapolis, which included a shop at 4225 Hiawatha Avenue that was built in 1945. The company started working on coal furnaces in 1928, and continued as gas and oil furnaces and later air conditioning were introduced. Its main line was the Cronco Cooler, a nationwide brand.
In June 1950 the heating, air conditioning, and sheet metal departments were moved to 4410 Excelsior Blvd. in the Park. (Although sources indicate that the space was built for the company, tax records show that the building was built almost 30 years before.)
“Cool as the other side of a pillow.” Photos courtesy Del Strandberg.
In 1964-71 the company had 70 employees and expanded its warehouse slightly to handle increased volume, according to manager Lowell Anderson.
In 1995 the company was owned by Pete and Jim Rice, and the business was located at 7201 W. Lake Street.
In 2005 the company was located at 6437 Goodrich Ave.
The ad above is undated, but guessed at 1951-65.